News & Resources

FAQ: The First Step to an Employment-Based “Green Card” – The Labor Certification Process

Employers seeking to obtain permanent residence for a foreign worker generally have to obtain a “labor certification” (LC) from the Department of Labor (DOL) as the first step in the process. DOL uses a system known as “PERM” to allow employers to file applications forsuch LC. What is PERM? PERM (Program Electronic Review Management) is a system through which employers submit an electronic application to DOL to attest that they have taken the required steps to recruit U.S. […]

Continue Reading

FAQ: B-1 Visa

Q: What is a B-1 Visa? A.  The B-1 visa is for business travel such as to consult with business associates, attend a scientific, educational, professional or business conference, settle an estate, or negotiate a contract. The definition of “business” in this instance is limited, and does not generally allow for gainful employment. Citizens of one of the 37 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program can apply to obtain an Electronic System for Travel Authorization […]

Continue Reading

FAQ: Preparing for Consular Interview

Q: What Should I Do to Prepare for my Consular Processing Interview? A. This can be a stressful process. You are not automatically guaranteed a visa. Most applicants, but not all, will have an appointment at the Visa Application Center (OFC), followed by an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate. The following questions and answers are intended you prepare you and facilitate the process. How should I prepare my documents? –         Do not staple documents together. Please use […]

Continue Reading

FAQ: Traveling with a Pending AOS Application

Q: Can I travel outside the United States if I have a Form I-485, adjustment of status, application pending? A. Typically, the answer is no. If you depart the U.S. with a pending Form I-485, your adjustment application can be considered abandoned. However, you might be able to travel abroad if you have applied for and received an approved advanced paroled (AP) document from USCIS.  It typically takes 90 days from filing to receive the AP […]

Continue Reading

FAQ: Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers (SSNs) are a key component to many aspects of life in the U.S., but the issuance of SSNs to foreign nationals is restricted and we are often asked questions about it.  The following are answers and resources to provide you with information on this and related topics. Q: How does a noncitizen obtain a SSN? A: Noncitizens authorized to work in the U.S. by DHS can apply to obtain a SSN. Although, since […]

Continue Reading

FAQ: Student Options for Status Extension While Waiting on an H-1B

Q. How do I remain in status if I am in OPT / F-1 and an employer filed a cap-subject H-1B petition on my behalf that does not become effective until October 1? A. Most likely the student will need to apply for a cap-gap extension I-20. This is based on aregulatory provision which extends an eligible F-1 students status to bridge the gap between the end of F-1 status and start of H-1B status on […]

Continue Reading
Page 7 of 8« First...45678