Susan S. Erdelyi’s practice is focused on employment, local government and civil rights. As the former City Attorney for the City of Jacksonville Beach, Ms. Erdelyi represents public entities, including municipalities and counties. She also represents private employers and employees, on a selective basis.
Ms. Erdelyi has litigated claims for wrongful termination, disability, age, race and gender discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour, whistle blower, First Amendment discrimination, due process, unpaid wages and other employment and civil rights issues.
Ms. Erdelyi is a frequent speaker on employment law topics at seminars and client presentations.
Ms. Erdelyi is a member of the Florida Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section and Trial Section), Florida Defense Lawyers Association; (Chair, Employment Committee – 2000, Board of Directors 2002-2006), Jacksonville Federal Bar Association; Jacksonville Bar Association; and the Chester Bedell Inns of Court (Master).
From 2008 to 2019 Ms. Erdelyi served as the City Attorney for the City of Jacksonville Beach, appointed by the Jacksonville Beach City Council on November 3, 2008. In 2016 Ms. Erdelyi served a one year appointment on the Transparency Task Force of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.
Ms. Erdelyi was selected by her peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for her work in Employment Law – Management; Government Relations Practice; Litigation – Labor and Employment. Ms. Erdelyi has been selected to the Florida Super Lawyers® every year since 2010.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- 10 Most Common Lawsuits Against Cities – Florida League of Cities, Northeast League of Cities Annual Meeting (October 2014)
- Nuts and Bolts of Civil Rights – Sponsor – Florida Municipal Attorney’s Association (FMAA) (July 2007)
- Employment Law Primer – Sponsor – Florida Association of County’s Trust (FACT) (August 2008)
- Sexual Harassment Caselaw Update – Sponsor – Florida Defense Lawyers’ Association (June 5, 2001)
- Florida Labor and Employment Law – Sponsor – National Business Institute (January 1999)
- Compendium of Significant Employment-Related Case Law and Statutes and Violence in the Workplace (Florida Section) (1997) Sponsor – American Law Firm Association (ALFA International)
- Sexual Harassment – Local radio station during morning traffic in Jacksonville, Florida (Spring 1996)
- Sexual Harassment – Sponsor – Jacksonville Women’s Center (Summer 1996)
- The Impact of the ADA and FMLA on Workers’ Compensation – Sponsor – Lorman Education Services (Spring 1996) Strategies for Avoiding Civil Liability under the ADA & FMLA
- Basic Labor and Employment Law In Depth – Sponsor – Florida Bar Association (Fall 1995 and 1996); Americans with Disabilities Act
- Top 10 Lessons to be Learned from Lawsuits Against Counties & How to Avoid Suit – Florida Associations of Counties’ Trust, 2015 Risk Management & Educational Conference (October 2015)