Shareholder Crystal Broughan’s practice focuses primarily on intellectual property matters such as trademarks, trade secrets, copyright infringement cases and domain name disputes. She prepares and files trademark and copyright applications, licensing agreements, non-compete and non-disclosure agreements for a wide variety of clients. In addition, she represents clients before the Trademark Trials and Appeals Board on trademark disputes and the World Intellectual Property Organization on domain name disputes.
Ms. Broughan also manages third party and first party insurance defense cases, insurance investigations and litigation on behalf of insurance companies’ special investigation units and multiple claims investigation units.
She worked in the State’s Attorney’s Office in the 4th Judicial Circuit from 1990-1994 in the areas of insurance fraud, consumer fraud, worker compensation fraud, construction fraud and prosecution of criminal cases in county and circuit courts. Ms. Broughan also served as the Chief Assistant Statewide Prosecutor for the Office of the Attorney General of Florida in Jacksonville from 1994-2003. During that time she prosecuted in the area of insurance fraud, money laundering, theft, narcotics, racketeering and schemes to defraud.
Ms. Broughan received her B.S. (1981) and her J.D. (1990) from Florida State University. She is a licensed member of the Florida Bar Association. She is admitted to practice law before the United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida.
She has served on the Florida Bar Association’s Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee (2008 – 2014), the Code & Rules of Evidence Committee (2005 – 2008) and the Criminal Procedure Rules Committee (2002 – 2005). In addition, she has served as the Chair of the Jacksonville Bar Association’s Franchise Intellectual Property and Technology Law Committee (2015-2017), the Judicial Relations Committee (2009–2010) and the Law Week Committee (2007- 2009). She served on the Board of Directors of the Florida Advisory Committee on Arson Prevention (2009-2010).
Ms. Broughan is a Master in the Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, a member of the Legal Section for the Jacksonville’s Women Network, the Duval Country Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar Association.
She is a member of the Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Litigation Committee and the International Trademark Associations Law Firm Committee. She is also a graduate of Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2010 and Leadership Orlando, Class of 1984.
Legal Affiliations and Memberships
- Florida Bar Association
- Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee (2008 – 2014)
- Code & Rules of Evidence Committee (2005 – 2008)
- Criminal Procedure Rules Committee (2002 – 2005)
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Franchise, Intellectual Property and Technology Chair
- Law Committee (2012-2013) and Co-Chair (2015-2017)
- Judicial Relations Committee (2009 – 2010)
- Law Week Committee (2007-2009)
- Board of Directors of the Florida Advisory Committee on Arson Prevention (2009-2010).
- Defense Research Institute Intellectual Property Litigation Committee
- International Trademark Associations Law Firm Committee
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Jacksonville Business Journal 2016 BizTech Innovation Awards, Best Intellectual Property Attorney
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee – Insurance Attorney of the Year 2012
- Award of Excellence 1996 – Florida Attorney General’s Office of Statewide Prosecution
- No Guts No Glory Award 1995 – Florida Attorney General’s Office of Statewide Prosecution
- Jacksonville Sister Cities Association – Immediate Past President
- San Marco Rotary Club – Treasurer 2013-2014
- Small Business Resource Network
- Membership Committee
- Steering Committee
- Chair Legal Network
- Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2010
- Leadership Orlando, Class of 1984