USCIS Announces Changes to the Employment Authorization Document

Continuing its efforts to prevent immigration fraud, on May 11, USCIS started issuing a revised Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for foreign nationals. The change includes the addition of a machine readable zone on the back of the card. This replaces the two dimensional bar code on previous versions of the EAD. All other existing security features will remain unchanged. USCIS last updated the EAD card in June 2004.

Individuals who are temporarily in the U.S., such as F-1 students seeking Optional Practical Training, and eligible for employment authorization may file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request an EAD. Other individuals who are authorized to work in the U.S. without restrictions, such as spouses of E and/or L primary visa holders, should also use Form I-765 to apply for a document evidencing such authorization.