Some H-4s May Receive an EAD

The White House announced possibly allowing certain H-4 visa holders to apply for work authorization while their spouses are in valid H-1B status. The announcement limits the work authorization to “spouses of certain high-skill workers on H-1B visas,” but does not define this term. In 2012, the DHS proposed the issuance of work authorization to H-4s whose H-1B spouse “have begun the process of seeking lawful permanent resident status through employment and have extended their authorized period of admission or “stay” in the U.S. under the AC21 Act”. There is a significant amount of uncertainty in this announcement but it is welcome news to many.  For additional information, click here.