Immigration Blog

Update on comprehensive immigration reform

With the nation’s economy still struggling and bank bailout news continuing to make headlines, the Obama administration’s immigration reform plan and bill may not be the next big issue following on the heels of the recent health care reform bill. Even if comprehensive immigration reform takes a “back seat” for a while, individual members of Congress are tackling specific immigration issues and proposing legislation in the process.  For example, Senators Charles E. Schumer (D-NY) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) have laid out a […]

Continue Reading

The Green Card Gets a High-Tech Facelift

On May 11, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that the agency had made several high-tech improvements to the Legal Permanent Residence Card, known to most everyone as the ‘Green Card.’ The changes include new security features as well as state-of-the-art advancements in technology to prevent counterfeiting and tampering. Some of the new features include: Color shifting ink in visual designs (for example, an eagle’s head) Embedded RFID technology Laser-engraved fingerprints Tamper […]

Continue Reading

Tips to Navigating the new DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application

In 2009, the Department of State introduced a new Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, the DS-160, for foreign nationals wishing to come to the United States on a nonimmigrant visa.  The new application replaces several NIV forms (DS-156, 157, 158, 156K, 3032, and parts of the E visa application) and is being phased in throughout the early part of 2010 at Embassy and Consular posts across the globe.     We have had the opportunity to assist […]

Continue Reading

Interested in How Many Immigrants Are in the U.S.?

In April, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released its Annual Immigrant Flow Report.  The report details statistics on the Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) visas (better known as ‘green cards’) issued in 2009.   According to the report, 1,130,818 LPR visas were issued in 2009, an increase of 2.1% over the previous year.  60% of those represented foreign nationals already living and working in the U.S. applying for a change in status and the remaining 40% […]

Continue Reading

Greece Added to the United States’ Visa Waiver Program

In March 2010, the Department of Homeland Security added Greece as a member of the Visa Waiver Program.  This announcement significantly eases travel of Greek citizens to the U.S.  Under the program, Greek visitors may enter the U.S. for 90 days without having to first secure a non-immigrant visa.  Greece joins 35 other countries already in the Visa Waiver Program including Australia, France, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom.  The program was created in 1986 […]

Continue Reading

Are National ID Cards the Answer to Immigration Reform?

With about 11 million undocumented foreign nationals currently living and working in the United States, some feel the solution to our immigration issues lie in the use of biometrics and the creation of a national ID card.  The debate over using biometrics and national ID cards surfaces ever few years, most notably following the events of September 11, 2001.  In fact, the 9-11 Commission Report recommended the use of tamper-proof identification to increase national security.  […]

Continue Reading